Driving is an inherently dangerous activity. Car accidents are more common than you think. It is estimated that over six million car accidents occur on U.S. roadways every year. Unfortunately, car accidents can happen to even the most careful drivers.
Debilitating injuries resulting from car accidents can wreak havoc on physical and mental health, resulting in poor quality of life. A car accident injury can affect a person’s ability to work. It can worsen an existing health condition or cause a new health condition. Injury pain can negatively affect one’s ability to focus and concentrate, resulting in low productivity.
Toth Chiropractic is the leading chiropractic clinic in Santa Rosa that specializes in alleviating car accident injuries. Our team has compiled the following tips to help you speed up your recovery from injury.
Proper hydration is essential for injury recovery. Water flushes toxins out of the body, helps regulate body PH, and transports nutrients to cells. It also helps ease muscle soreness and tension.
Staying hydrated is a great way to prevent chronic Inflammation. Health experts recommend drinking at least 2.5 liters of water every day. Here are some tips for drinking more water every day.
● Keep a reusable water bottle with you to drink water in any setting. A water bottle can also serve as a visual reminder.
● Set reminders to take a few sips of water from your water bottle at regular intervals, say every 30 minutes using your app or the alarm on your phone.
● Replace unhealthy sugary sodas and sports drinks with water
● Drink a glass of water before each meal and one glass of water per hour at work
● Add foods high in water, such as celery, cabbage, watermelon, zucchini, and lettuce, to your diet.
Get Plenty of Rest
Sleep plays a crucial role in car accident injury recovery. Your muscles and tissues repair and rejuvenate as you sleep. If you lose sleep, it will be harder for your body to bounce back from injury.
Prolactin, a hormone produced by the pituitary gland, regulates inflammation. It is released during sleep. If you do not get enough sleep, you are more likely to experience Inflammation after an injury. Sleep can also help lower stress levels, improving the body’s ability to fight toxins and foreign substances and control Inflammation.
Sleep in a position that does not further aggravate your injury. Look for a comfortable mattress that provides ample support and distributes weight evenly. To determine an ideal sleeping position, seek advice from a health professional.
Here are some proven ways to get a good night’s sleep
● Put away your mobile, laptop, or tablet devices at least 1-2 hours before bed
● Do not consume caffeine after 3 PM
● Try to go to bed at the same time every day
● Create a relaxing environment in your bedroom
● Take a relaxing bath or shower 90 minutes before
Give Chiropractic Care a try bed
Chiropractic is a form of alternative medicine. The main aim of chiropractic care is to diagnose, treat and prevent musculoskeletal disorders. An auto accident chiropractor in Santa Rosa is trained to deliver chiropractic adjustments, which involves applying gentle pressure using their hands or a small handheld device to the joints to correct a misalignment.
Because chiropractic care is 100% drug-free, it can help avoid the side effects of over-the-counter and prescription pain medications. Studies show that chiropractic care reduces pain, improves flexibility, and increases range of motion.
There are several ways in which chiropractic care can fast-track injury recovery. It takes the pressure off the affected nerves and joints and improves blood flow to the area. Chiropractic adjustments remove nerve interference, allowing the body to release toxins. It can help ensure that your bones and joints are lined up properly and can relieve muscle tension.
Chiropractic care works by stimulating glands to increase the production of feel-good hormones such as serotonin, oxytocin, and endorphins. These hormones relieve pain, improve mood, and lower stress levels. Too much Inflammation can slow down the injury recovery process. Chiropractic care can help reduce the production of inflammatory cytokines.
Chiropractors combine nutritional counseling with chiropractic adjustments. Your chiropractor can recommend foods that fight Inflammation and light, gentle passive, and active stretching exercises that help relieve pain and tension.
Proper nutrition can help recover the body from an injury faster. Stay away from unhealthy foods that cause Inflammation. Typical examples include sugary drinks and snacks, processed foods, deep-fried foods, red meat, and refined grains. Curb your drinking as alcohol increases Inflammation. It can undermine your body’s ability to remove toxins. This delays healing.
Some anti-inflammatory foods to include in your diet are berries, fatty fish, avocados, peppers, broccoli, and cherries.
Use RICE Therapy
RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevate. It can help manage swelling and pain and promote blood flow to the affected area.
● Rest: Stop what you are doing immediately after an injury. Get as much rest as possible for the next 24-48 hours. Do not put any weight on the injured area. Resting can help prevent further bruising and inflammation.
● Ice: For the first few days after getting injured, apply an ice pack to the affected area for 15-20 minutes every three hours. Place a towel between your skin and the ice to prevent ice burns. If you do not have an ice pack, use frozen peas or a corn bag.
● Compression: Wrap the affected area snugly, but not tightly, with a medical bandage
● Elevate: When you feel pain, elevate the affected area above your heart level
Toth Chiropractic is a trusted chiropractic clinic in Santa Rosa. Dr. Douglass Toth uses various chiropractic techniques to treat different musculoskeletal conditions. To learn more about the chiropractic services offered or book you next appointment, call (707) 526-1390.