Scoliosis is an abnormal curvature of the spine. It usually occurs during the growth spurt just before puberty. Other common causes of scoliosis are congenital spine anomalies, muscular dystrophy, spinal injuries, and cerebral palsy.
It is estimated that the condition affects around 2-3 percent of the country’s population. Some common symptoms of scoliosis are uneven hips, a rotating spine, breathing problems, nagging back pain and one shoulder blade sticks out more or is higher than the other.
In most cases, the curvature is mild and does not require surgery, but can still cause pain. The abnormal curvature can irritate, squish, or stretch nerves and strain joints causing inflammation. Scoliosis affects posture, which often leads to muscle tightening.
Early detection is key to recovery. Some types of scoliosis keep progressing. As the degree of curvature increases, the excess curvature can cause a whole host of health issues.
How can Chiropractic Care Help?
There are several benefits of chiropractic care. It is non-invasive and drug-free. Chiropractors in Santa Rosa are trained to diagnose and treat scoliosis. They have an in-depth understanding of musculoskeletal issues, conditions, and disorders.
Your chiropractor will use hands-on spinal manipulations to reduce joint restriction or misalignments. They will come up with a plan to reduce inflammation and improve the function of the affected joint. When your joint mobility increases and the nervous system function improves, your body is better able to manage scoliosis symptoms.
Some health benefits of chiropractic care are
- Reduced pain and discomfort
- Enhanced mobility and improved range of motion
- Enhanced flexibility
- Enhanced quality of life
Chiropractic care for scoliosis is beneficial in these ways
- Scoliosis monitoring and treatment: Chiropractors are trained to track the progression of scoliosis. If a chiropractor believes that the curvature will become more severe during the growth spurts, they will recommend the patient to the appropriate medical specialist.
- Treatment for functional support: Scoliosis can cause other health problems and chronic pain in different body parts. A chiropractor, in addition to diagnosing and treating spinal abnormalities, can treat conditions (such as pelvic obliquity) accompanying scoliosis
- Referral to specialists when appropriate: Chiropractors collaborate with other specialists. If a chiropractor notices that a patient’s condition is deteriorating, they will refer them to a specialist.
- Recommendations: Your chiropractor will provide tips to increase mobility and manage pain. The professional will recommend strengthening exercises to support joints and strengthen the core. They will help you identify ways to rest and move that can minimise pain and discomfort while suggesting ideas to stay active without exacerbating your symptoms
Are you living with scoliosis? Dr. Douglass Toth can help you manage your pain. He will come up with a treatment plan to stop further progression. Dr. Toth has been treating patients in Santa Rosa for years and is one of the premier chiropractors. To make an appointment with him, call (707) 355-6535.